Saturday, June 12, 2010

Re: On Jingosim

I was actually going to apologise for the last post. It was poorly written, brash, and really just pumped out in order to update for the sake of updating. It was pretty awful.

Then I finish my concert to hear about England's performance.

Oh. Dear.

Yeah, I'll admit, for all my harping on about how I don't tend to follow football closely, I omitted to mention that when I do, I can get fairly emotional about it myself. Like I said, it's cultish, and I get drawn right into it.

However, I am still detatched enough to be irritated at all the duality of English fandom. I went into the concert surrounded by people hooting and hollering about how great we are. While I dislike the lack of lealism, I was kind of impressed that we can engender such a strong sense of support.

I did my concert. It was really good, even if I say so myself. British cathedral music throughout the ages. Beautiful stuff. I meet my dad and he shows me the score. Its about 4 minutes to the end, so nothing much new is happening. I was mildly miffed, as previously indicated. But I walk outside and its a completely different scene. There was no shouting words of enthusiasm. Ok, we lost.


Well, we didn't lose, but we tied with the Americans. For most people that's going to count as a loss. But it's the first game guys! Don't fucking throw away all hope becuase of one game. I'm sure the Americans put up a good fight and are at this moment displaying their characteristic good humour. Where's our characteristic stiff upper lip?

In summary: Man. The Fuck. Up.

Look at the face. Everything is going to be alright guys. Everything is going to be alright.

0 comments: