Friday, December 9, 2011

Standing On The Sidelines, Throwing Bottles At The Players

My, but today has been exciting, hasn't it? What the fuck happened last night? I get a bit of drink on and I wake up to Europe shunning us even more than usual. Once again Cameron has done his level best to assure us all what an utter tosser he is.

Under the assumption that you have already read the proffesional views from your choice of news network, I won't labour the intro. All I see is Cameron a) completely missing the point of the meeting, that it was to help the European community, a community to which we are inevitably tied, certainly economically, and b) blindly going with political posturing rather than thinking about the long term future of the god damn country he's supposed to be representing.

His argument seems to be based largely on the premise that Britain is a strong nation, completely ignoring the fact that it is as economically strong as it is because of the large amount of historical and current trade we have with Europe, the very group he is now alienating us from. There is no way in hell this country can stand on it's own. The Tories and "Euro Skeptics" are pining for the Good Old Days, remembering that once we get all these powers we have ceded away to Brussels back, we'll be fine, like back when we had an empire. They completely forgetting that we don't have a fucking empire any more.

Okay, look, I'm pretty angry. This has very much been a post written with emotion rather than forethought, and no matter how much I believe the thought to be accurate there has been some Straw Manning. I feel I should explain myself and my reaction.

I touched on this in my post on why I do physics. There is not much I believe in, but one thing I do is the ability for humanity, or transhumanity, or posthumanity to continue the ever noble quest for knowledge. Now that is a very long term goal, but it requires short term steps. The reason I'm so angry about all this is the complete lack of foresight displayed by Cameron. We are as a race entering a really fucking stormy period in our history, and the only way I see us making it through is together, and it's selfish ignorant people like Cameron and the Conservative, and lets be honest, a good number of other members of other parties and countries that kill that dream, and end up filling me and others like me who just want the best from humanity with despair.

Again I suppose I have gone a bit long term again. What can I say, maybe I get a little bit crazy when I'm impassioned, hm? Okay, how about you consider this. This move that Cameron has made, in all his infinite fucking wisdom, has improved nothing for Britain. For all his insistence's that he has made the best decision, he fails to acknowledge publicly that there is now going to be an agreement on a treaty that we will still be part of, that we will have no say in. He has isolated Britain from the European stage just when we need to be pulling together.

It's going to be difficult for me to press publish on this one, just because I know that this is a post forged purely from emotion and a day of resenting what I've heard on the radio, not excluding Cameron's smugger-than-thou voice. I try not to do politics because it's always a much more complicated mish mash of rat piss than I care to go into too much detail with, and I simply cannot cover the full spectrum of views that 'd like to. But post it I shall, because I suppose I need to stand for something once in a while, even if it's just on my little peninsula of the Internet. One cannot forever stand by and spectate, even if it just means starting by shouting abuse at the players.

0 comments: