Saturday, December 3, 2011

The End Of The Beginning

 I am in a quandry, friends.

Not Fanatically Anything has been with me for about a year and a half. In that time together we have tackled such far reaching topics as Physics, The 2010 Football World Cup, and music. And Pokemon. Lots of Pokemon. It is therefore with regret that I am considering moving on. This is what writing this post is to help me decide.

Note that when I say move on, I merely mean to a new blog. When I first started it, I was trying to think of something to focus on, and I found that I couldn't really think of anything I was really into. I mean music, sure, but there is already a glut of them and I really don't think I could say anything that hasn't already been said. Then I remembered my uncle's old band. I had only heard a cassette recording of them, but the name stuck with me. NFA, Not Fanatically Anything. I thought it sounded kinda cool, and, well, they weren't using it any more. It fit perfectly. AI'll do a blog in which I don't really focus on anything specific, where I can just jot down thoughts when they come me or whatever. The name was perfect, and has been something I could (ironically?) really get behind.

I still feel like that for the most part. The problem now is that I don't feel I can maintain a stance of non fanaticism going forward. There are events and circumstances happening in the world that demand of me, and make me demand of myself that I take a stance. The world is either falling apart, or morphing into something not all that desirable and it's impossible not to take a stance. Also I want to start some hobbies that take me away fromthe internet. I have recently excavated my interest in astronomy and am looking to get into that in a bigger way than occasionally peering through my £10 refractive in my room, and from reading a few magazines, it looks like 2012 is a great year to be getting into it.

So post about them here, James. But I can't. Not without changing the name, but, and there's the rub, the name has been with me throughout, and as such I feel a certain fondness for it. No, I cannot simply erase the entity for new.

So the final thought that I inevitably have arrived at is simply that I should start anew elsewhere. Create a new blog or blogs where I can focus on specifics. Should I let this thing weary away into the past? No, I imagine not. I should imagine I will come back from time to time with stories, or new RPG recordings. This was the first blog that I stuck for over a year, and I'm not about to totally abandon it now.

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me that by years end I've forgotten the damn new blog idea.

Have a good winter!


0 comments: