Thursday, April 28, 2011

On Royals

The Royal Wedding is tomorrow. Aren't you excited? This once in a life time event, this celebration of happiness and two of our future leaders in love? I'm not, as it happens. But it strikes me that there are a whole bunch of people who are.

There are some things that Americans believe about British people. We have bad teeth, we are constantly drinking tea, and we love our royals. We love them. We can't get through the day without singing God Save The [Gender Appropriate Monarchical Title], we embark on yearly pilgrimages to worship our representative of God. Is this true? I certainly don't. No, it seems, and admittedly I have only the perspective of a 20 year old who spends his time with mainly my age group + or - a couple years, that we, to be frank, don't give a damn. Yet curiously, Americans, who hold the belief, themselves seem to love our Queen, and indeed the royal family.
Believeing that we love our royals, and that we live in an Orwellian police state. Oh those crazy Americans.

I have gotten this far in my post and realised that's all I really have. Well, gosh, that wasn't very foresightful of me. In summary then, Americans believe we love the royals but we don't, we believe Americans to be thoroughly engrossed in their own affairs unless it means bombing some other country, but as it turns out, they love our emancipated rulers. Stereotypes are funny things.

But no, I don't much care for the wedding. Even as one who disagrees with the concept of marriage, I am happy for anyone who decides they love someone enough to remain with them til death, however it doesn't really enter into my life. It is just another wedding, though admittedly a fairly grandiose one. There is the possibility that young William will become our future king, but frankly that doesn't really enter into my life either. No, I shall not bother myself with the happenings of tomorrow, beyond wishing their royalnesses the best of luck, a happy future, and thanks for the extra day off college.

P.S. For Christ's sake news media, her name is Katherine, not Kate.

0 comments: