Saturday, August 28, 2010

Crete, Episode 2: The one in which I remember how much I love the sea

1002. Mandolins have been replaced with "What if god was one of us?"


________________________

1321 So me and my sister were almost ophans. The way my dad tells it, my mother and him were swimming in the sea, and they suddenly realised "Oops, this is a bit far out".  So they try swimming back, but the current is fuckstrong, and nothing really happened. So my dad, heroic figure that he is, grabs my mum and more or less throws her closer to shore, not really helping matters for himself. He does this again, and them mum waves her arms for the lifeguard. He subsequently saves her, leaving my dad to once again fend for his own life unhindered
   It is worth noting that I was in that sea a while earlier, and it is damned strong. Pulling myself back along the bouy line felt like I was pulling against a waterfall. However whereas I flourish in the prospect of death, I guess other people tend to get a bit scared, and desire safety. Fucking' weirdos man.

The beach is pretty sweet, incidentally. My life's experience of my Lady Ocean has been Portugal and France, and to a lesser extent, my own Britain's beautiful, but thanklessly frigid waters. For me the sea is pretty synonymous with "Jesus CHRIST this is cold", so you can appreciate how much I appreciate stepping into waters that don't make my extremities withdraw themselves like an above average turtles head. Now it's not a bath, but it's certainly easy to just walk into. Warmer than the pool, now that I think of it. Speaking of which, I'ma go for a paddle now, to wash off the salt. It's 1329. Late'

1500. There I am, sitting by the pool, reading my book on chinese philosophy
 & psychology, listening to Chopin, when my mother walks up to me and informs my that she is going to the hospital.
"What?" I query. She answers this by holding out a decidedly bloody finger.
"What?" I query again.
"You should see the toilet."
"What?" I query for a third time, should you be unable to count yourself. It seems that she had something of a dizzy spell, and fell. Upon reaching out to the toilet back for support, it broke, taking a chunk out of my mother's finger with it.
  So I put my headphones back on and started writing this. Well what would you do?

1641. Mother is back with a smile, 5 stitches, and a 180£ excess on our insurance.

I don't believe I shall write anything else today. It all seems inferior for some reason.

0 comments: